Mommy Nurse Wife and 25!

Monday, June 26, 2006

This, I know for a fact, is bad.

(Disclaimer for all of you non-medical peeps out there, please DO NOT read on if you're grossed out by puss or blood, this is not the entry for you to read OK? If you do read on, you were warned and I don't want to hear any complaints about the contents of this entry. Got it???)

This, I know for a fact, is bad...
I was turned on at work yesterday. For ALL the wrong reasons.

I have always known I wanted to be an ED nurse. Just something I felt in my gut. Yesterday, around 1900 I had actual confirmation that I'm doing the right kind of nursing. Because yesterday I watched my first pilonidal cyst (for you non-medical sort, it's an abscess in your butt crack) be lanced and was so fascinated that I have been thinking of it all day long today.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a pervert or anything, but I do love to pop and pick things...a lot. I have scars all over my body (including an incision on my knee from surgery) that were wounds which should have healed but never allowed because of my wandering hands and now remain scars. I can't stop myself, if there is something to be picked or popped I'm all over it. Just ask Donnie what a "treasure" is in our house.

Which is why you can understand why I was so excited by this cyst. It was like a soda can exploding after its been shaken too hard, just so breathtakingly gushy and gross. Then the surgeon put pressure on either side of the incision (as if popping a zit) and MORE came out. I let out a moan. It was great.

Is that bad? Or do I just need a lot of therapy? (Retorical question, of course. I really really really don't want to hear the answer to that question).

4 Comments:

  • At 3:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    That is waay gross!!!! You actually let out a moan? I think I would have gagged, but that has gotten me into trouble a couple of times in clinical. I can't help it.

     
  • At 7:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    those are my favorite. pus is my favorite body fluid. haha.
    i remember as a new grad, we had one that was so huge we called surgery down to lance it and the surgeon could actually stick his hand in and pull the thick stuff out.......
    ok, tmi.

     
  • At 7:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Cassie - I LOVE IT!!!!! I am the same exact way. To this day when I visit my father in Florida I will pick the black heads out of and from behind his ears. With some of my adult intubated and sedated pt's. in Boston - I would pick black heads off the 400 + pound pts. bellies - or anyones "something worth pickin"... I would have paid to see that cyst opened up. Yee haw!!! - Andrea

     
  • At 2:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You do need serious therapy. And could you please stop making spelling mistakes? It's driving me mad. I have to admit though, there is a guy who comes in regularly to the ER for respiratory issues; big guy and always huffing and puffing. Anyway, he has a blackhead the size of a pencil eraser in a very deep crater on his upper back. It's been there for at least two years because I see it everytime he comes in and I want to squeeze it EVERY TIME. He's never unconscious enough. Dammit.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home