Mommy Nurse Wife and 25!

Friday, June 23, 2006

Frozen Peas

When I was 17 I tore my ACL in my right knee playing field hockey. Then I tore it again when I was 19 playing lacrosse in college. Then I tore it again working out when I was 20. So now, I'm 25 years old and I've had 4 knee surgeries; two reconstructive and two arthroscopic to fix all of the torn cartilidge that comes along with tearing your ACL. So as you can now imagine, I have arthritis and chronic pain in my right knee from all of this crap that has happened.

So put that all into perspective with this 5 weeks of rain we've had this season in Maine (I am one of those people who can always tell when it's going to rain or snow because of the amount of swelling in my knee), the humidity in the air, compounded with a job in which I am on my feet for the majority of the day-4 days a week, and an active lifestyle where I'm always on the go.

I don't want to complain but I think I need to get it out of my system today. This is not the problem that any 25 year should be dealing with, as my neighbor told me, "That's an old person's problem." People are always asking me how I feel about my knee problems and I just tell them that we all have our ailments, this is just mine. Some people have diabetes, asthma, hypertension, asshole personalities, glaucoma, etc etc etc...this is just what I deal with.

Plus, it's really cute because Lily keeps asking to see my "owie" and this morning told me her knee hurts. So we wrapped it with an ace bandage and she got her own bag of frozen peas on her knee and we iced and elevated together while watching the Wiggles (by the way, has anyone noticed that Greg has gained weight this season, or is that just me???). It was really cute and one of those memories that I will always have...my little friend and I hanging out on the floor with our owies. So maybe I'm hurt for a reason, so I am forced to have down time and relax with my little friends and husband. Not too bad of a gig if you ask me...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home