Mommy Nurse Wife and 25!

Sunday, June 04, 2006

Videos and Gift Cards

I sometimes wonder if I've chosen the right path for my career. I went to a small liberal arts college in the middle of New Hampshire. My graduating class was 8 students total. We were considered "dorks" in our school becuase we studied a lot a socialized very little. Before I graduated I had three job offers, two being in ICU units. One was at a level 2 trauma center in the adult ICU, the other at a small community hospital with an 11 bed ICU.

I chose the community hospital because of two reasons.
1. I'd worked there for a few years and already knew a lot of people. My mother worked in the ED at the time and I had grown up there. So, I already fit in, and was accepted, a huge hurdle in my opinion.
2. At the big teaching hospital I was told in my interview that their #1 problem in the unit was nurses "eating their young." In addition, one of the newer nurses had pulled me aside and told me to watch my back. Yikes.

I wonder what would have happened if I had gone there instead of where I am now. I know that I would have learned a lot, but would I have come out on the other side a different nurse, or even person, for that matter? I am not the kind of person who fares well in a harsh enviornment and I could see working at such a hostile place turning me off from nursing all together. If that happened, what the hell else would I even think of doing?

Which leads me to this question...almost all of the nurses I know LOVE what he or she does for a living and yet all of them will tell you in the next breath what s/he would do if money was of no issue. So, if anyone is out there reading this stupid blog I want to know-- what would you be doing if money wasn't a factor? Here's what I would do:

I would own a video store. I would have very loyal and interesting clientel who would come in on a regular basis and hang out in my store. We would be buddies. I would work 6 hours a day and spend the rest of the time with my two little friends and my husband. When I made enough money to pay off my store I'd open a little gift shop with fun little things and cool jewlery and notepads and pens, or stupid wall hangings and perverted gift cards and work there a few hours a day. There would be time every day to work out, watch a movie AND read a book, sleep in late (or at least until 6:30 am) AND have supper with the family and play a board game after we ate. Sounds great huh?

5 Comments:

  • At 5:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    If money were no option, I would still want to be a nurse but would probably opt for per diem as it would give me more time with my kids. I would send my kids to a nice private school so they could get a better education. I would make fabric covered photo albums and sell them at craft fairs. I would do blood drives, advocate for March of Dimes (my twins were preemies) and would spend my time working for worthy causes.

     
  • At 7:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    If money were no option i'd go a route similar to yours. I'd own a bookstore. I love books and I can't get enough of them! I'd work 6 hours a day and i'd have a team of people to clean and cook for my family.

     
  • At 6:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'd definitely open a tanning salon and/or a bar. Then i'd bake cupcakes all of the time for my son's class at school. I'd also write my memoirs. Of course i'd stay PRN in the ER, maybe work a few shifts a month just for the fun of it!

     
  • At 7:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I would quit my job in a heart beat if I could afford to. I f money weren't an option, I may not even work at all and just spend time with my children and husband - they are my life - not my career. If I could afford to open a store - I would open a women's clothing store - with high end fashions - great belts and shoes plus accesories. I would call it "Sweet rags". Maybe someday.

     
  • At 8:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    If money were no option-actually for me it's health insurance-I would work once a week in the ER-four hours-as one co-worker says, "I can do anything for four hours" and the rest of the time just be a mom, housewife, knitter, etc

     

Post a Comment

<< Home