After a long discussion with my mom (who has to wear the same cap every Friday or all hell breaks loose) I got to thinking whether or not these compulsions are just compulsions or if they're superstitions...Or a touch of both.
Those things in which we believe deeply are the actions in question. Here are some examples:
1. You can never say the "q" word. Ever.
2. If you mention a frequent flier, s/he will be in that day.
3. In the ICU, at night, if there is a light on in a room you may not turn it off.
4. We may never have an empty tracking board. The last patient can not be erased.
5. If you mention something horrible, like an AAA, you will have a patient with that.
6. When someone is close to death, open the window.
7. Patients always die in room blank.
8. Never schedule nurse A with Doctor B. The s&^t will hit the fan.
9. If a bed is turned down and the admission goes elsewhere, do not re-make the bed.
10. Counting a death toll until you make it to 3.
What do you guys think? Superstitions or compulsions? Both? Am I the only crazy one out there?