Mommy Nurse Wife and 25!

Sunday, July 23, 2006

Superstitions

This is an addendum to my previous post about OCD.

After a long discussion with my mom (who has to wear the same cap every Friday or all hell breaks loose) I got to thinking whether or not these compulsions are just compulsions or if they're superstitions...Or a touch of both.

Those things in which we believe deeply are the actions in question. Here are some examples:

1. You can never say the "q" word. Ever.
2. If you mention a frequent flier, s/he will be in that day.
3. In the ICU, at night, if there is a light on in a room you may not turn it off.
4. We may never have an empty tracking board. The last patient can not be erased.
5. If you mention something horrible, like an AAA, you will have a patient with that.
6. When someone is close to death, open the window.
7. Patients always die in room blank.
8. Never schedule nurse A with Doctor B. The s&^t will hit the fan.
9. If a bed is turned down and the admission goes elsewhere, do not re-make the bed.
10. Counting a death toll until you make it to 3.

What do you guys think? Superstitions or compulsions? Both? Am I the only crazy one out there?

5 Comments:

  • At 1:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    you are soooooo NOT the "only crazy one out there"... you have a lot of company! 30 years ago when I worked a psych ER... we had similar "customs" ( as I like to call them!) and heaven forbid the full moon is approaching! The same is true for EMS ( I was a volunteer EMT and rode a busy ambulance for many years) and (OK, so now you'll have an idea of how OLD I am...) the SAME sort of "customs" are true in the law enforcement field I have been working in! Some of the specific details are changed.... but it's all the same nonetheless! You're in good and copious company!

     
  • At 6:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You forgot to include the moon phases in your list. Never crazy in my book just very insightful. Luv Ellen

     
  • At 1:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Definitely not just you. I have a post on the same thing:

    http://dustitwind.blogspot.com/2006/02/curses.htm

     
  • At 12:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Nice idea with this site its better than most of the rubbish I come across.
    »

     
  • At 3:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

Post a Comment

<< Home